Hickory – With people staying in their homes more amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Hickory’s Solid Waste Division is experiencing an increase in garbage and recycling collection. Therefore, it’s an appropriate time to review several important tips to remember on your garbage and recycling day to ensure the best possible service.
Important tips to remember on your GARBAGE day:
· Placement: The green rollout garbage container, with the arrows on the lid pointing to the road, and the recycling bin must be placed at the curb before 7 a.m. and removed the same day of service. The best location for the green rollout garbage container is within 2 feet from the curb and 5 feet from any obstruction, including low-hanging branches or wires. (You can place them in the yard behind the curb also; this keeps them out of the road.)
· Overfilling: Please keep all garbage inside your rollout. Do not stuff and overfill to ensure proper emptying of rollout. Please bag all loose garbage before placing it in your rollout to minimize litter.
· Prohibited Items: Do not throw away liquids or various automobile parts inside of the green rollout garbage container.
· Yard Waste: Put small yard waste trimmings and clippings, such as grass and leaves, in clear plastic bags, or place them in a 32-gallon trash can with “Yard Waste” clearly marked on it. Then you can place them at the curb for pick up. Do not pile loose clippings at the curb outside of the City’s posted times for curbside leaf collection in the fall. Also, please do not put yard waste in your green rollout container, as yard waste is banned from the landfill.
· Bulky Items: Bulky items, such as furniture and mattresses, should be placed by the curb. Please place bulky items where proper clearance is maintained around the rollout containers and yard waste, as discussed above.
· Appliances: Appliances are picked up on a call-in basis only. Please call (828) 323-7500 to schedule a pickup.
Important tips to remember on your RECYCLING day:
Placement: The blue rollout recycling container, with the arrows on the lid pointing to the road, must be placed at the curb before 7 a.m. and removed the same day of service. The best location for the green rollout garbage container is within 2 feet from the curb and 5 feet from any obstruction, including low-hanging branches or wires. (You can place them in the yard behind the curb also; this keeps them out of the road.)
Overfilling: Please keep all recyclables inside your rollout, and do not stuff and overfill to ensure proper emptying and minimize any litter.
Accepted and Prohibited Items: Do not throw anything in the blue rollout recycling container that is not on the approved list.
YES to the following: #1 and #2 plastics (rinsed); metal cans (rinsed); glass bottles and jars that drinks or food come in (rinsed); paper (newspaper, junk mail, computer paper); fiberboard boxes (cereal boxes, snack boxes); paper towel and toilet paper cores; and flattened cardboard.
NO to the following: plastic bags; bubble wrap or plastic wrap; batteries; paint; styrofoam; pizza boxes; frozen food boxes; receipts; shredded, small pieces of paper or plastic; paper towels or napkins; plastic straws; plastic utensils; to-go or solo cups or lids; to-go trays or clamshells; household glass or mirrors or ceramics; pumps; gloves or tubes; “tanglers” or cords; scrap metal; textiles or clothes; hazardous or medical waste; and NO BAGGED RECYCABLES.
Reduce: Please try to reduce your single use and increase your use of reusable containers for drinks and food.
Commercial dumpster and recycling services are also available. For more information about the Solid Waste Division, including interactive service maps, please call (828) 323-7500 or visit the Sanitation webpage, https://www.hickorync.gov/content/sanitation.