Hickory – The Hickory Police Department has started collecting monetary donations and new toys for their 2020 Cops for Tots program. The program began in the early 1980’s by serving approximately twelve families. It has expanded over the years and in 2019 1,000 children benefited from the program.
The location of Cops for Tots 2020 will be 320 3rd ST SW (Old Rescue Squad Building.) Cops for Tots will be held December 15th thru December 17th. The hours of operation are from 9:00 am – 12noon and 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm each of those days.
New this year, participants are required to pre-register and family gift bundles will be distributed as a drive thru process by appointment only. This change has been made to ensure the safety and social distancing for our staff and participants. Application can be found on our social media sites, in person at police headquarters or by email. Applications must be received by October 30. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
To participate the 2020 Christmas Wish House, you must:
· Be a parent or guardian of the child receiving Cops for Tots services
· Parent or Guardian must present a current governmental photo ID
· Parent or guardian must present Medicaid card for each child. (Birth certificates only accepted for children under the age of 1)
· Be a resident of Catawba, Burke, Alexander or Caldwell Counties
· Families who are receiving services from the Christmas Bureau in 2020 are not eligible (Angel Tree)
· Social security cards will not be accepted.
· Participants will not be allowed inside to minimize contact
· Children from birth to 13 years of age are eligible to receive items from this program.
Collection boxes for new, unwrapped toys can be located in the lobby of Hickory Police Department; 347 2nd AVE SW, Hickory, NC 28602.
Monetary donations can be mailed to: Cops for Tots, Hickory Police Department, 347 2nd Ave. SW, Hickory, NC 28602. Make checks payable to “Cops for Tots”. Monetary donations are preferred, while new toys in the following categories are greatly appreciated as well. (Arts/Crafts, Musical, Soft Toy (infant), Hard Toy (infant), blocks (infant), cars/trucks, dolls, kitchen/household toys, sports, dinosaurs, puzzles, books, games, character figurines, and electronic toys/items)
100% of donations are used to support the Hickory Police Department Christmas Wish House, children in need or other community childhood programs. Additional information on requirements for the Cops for Tots program may be obtained by calling 828-261-2691.